December is the time for entertaining, and none more so for the employee, employer and client. If you are currently involved in planning an event, there are a number of important points you can follow, thus reducing the risk to all those who attend:
* Advise all staff in attendance of company culture and unacceptable practices;
* Remove the emphasis from alcohol to entertainment, light conversations and enjoyment;
* Ensure food and appetizers are served at the start to avoid drinking on an empty stomach;
* Try using drink tickets as opposed to “free bar” option;
* Promote soft and non-alcoholic drinks;
* Consider serving beer and wine only i.e. no liquor or potential for “shots”;
* Ask other responsible members to keep you abreast of potential unruly behaviour;
* Ensure all licenses are up to date and you are covered for potential risk.
Alcohol consumed sensibly makes the festive period go down with a cheer, and with careful observation, safety concern , policies and planning can help go a long way in avoiding potentially embarrassing situations.